Monday, August 11, 2008

Day Seven- Trinity Tour, Book of Kells, "Dublin Excursion"

So technically I crashed at 2:30am this morning. I had such a great weekend, but man was I tired. I did not want to get out of bed this morning. Again, I got to take the coldest shower EVER! I had goose bumps the entire time…so sad…Met the girls for breakfast and then we took the Trinity Walking tour.

I have been on campus for a week now but I had not learned as much as I wanted about the school. So me and my 2 partners in crime went and bought tickets for the walking tour. We really wanted the Irish guy with his cute sweater and collared shirt, but no…the girl who was our tour guide was really funny though. I got to learn about the bell tower, the front square, the dining hall, the library, the arts building, the residences (which by the way still think it is awesome that I am staying in Beckett’s building!), and just general history of the school.

Apparently there was a lecturer who was so hated by the student that one night they threw rocks at his window. The professor got mad and pulled his gun out and started taking shots at the students. He missed them but they were so angry they went and got their guns and shot and killed the lecturer. So he is said to haunt the building that he lived in. The students by the way were let off the hook…they were training to be lawyers, so maybe that makes sense…

We also learned that the reason why the Globe sculpture is under renovation and getting fixed is because students have will sit on top of it as it rotates. Sounds like fun…haha

Another of my favorite stories is that the man who said that women shouldn’t be allowed into the university said “Over my dead body.” He also said when he was forced to sign an agreement saying women could enter Trinity that “my hand says yes, but my heart says no.” He died of a heart attack and is buried at the back entrance of Trinity. Funny enough- that is the entrance the women were forced to use and they got to walk over his dead body as they came into the university. Take that!

After the tour we went to the library to study for a while. It was pretty neat to be studying in the Trinity library! Then we all decided to get lunch. Lindsay went and bought a sandwich and I had a delicious Cliff bar…

At 2pm, when the ridiculous line had died down, we went in and saw the Book of Kells. It is a copy of the 4 gospels dated to 800 AD. It was stolen once and its casing was melted down for money and the book was put in a bag and buried in a field. I guess the thief was just hoping they wouldn’t notice that this valuable, original text was missing. A farmer found the Book of Kells while plowing a field. The Book now resides in Trinity Library. It was really interesting to read about how the book was created. As I walked through the exhibit before actually seeing the book, they told us about the pigments, the binding, the scripts, the authors, the meaning of symbols, and more. I thought it was amazing that the pigments used came from all over…some from Afghanistan and one red dye used had to come from a beetle only when she was pregnant. Wow those monks had A LOT of time on their hands to sort through beetles to get the pregnant ones. Anyway, the book was spectacular to see! I found it an almost surreal experience to look down at one of the most sacred texts dated almost 1500 years ago.

We walked upstairs into the Long Room of the library. Oh…my…goodness…it was breathtaking. The ceilings were so high with books to the tip top. I wish I could put into words how amazing it was to see. There really is no picture that I have seen that does justice to it. The feeling you get when walking into this room is indescribable. If you ever are in Dublin, you have to come and see this room! It seems silly because it is a library and just a big room of books, but it is absolutely amazing! (They don't let you take pictures of the Book of Kells or Long Room so mine are rip offs...)

I had class at 3pm…there was only about half of the class actually there since some weren’t back from weekend trips. I got to learn about Irish history and how it has affected literature and the view of nature in Ireland. Really interesting! And the professor tells the best stories and goes on the greatest tangents. He is a very interesting person to talk to. If you ask one question you can learn so much.

I got out of class at about 4:30pm and Megan and Lindsay and I went back to our room to hang out. We cooked spaghetti for diner and just sat around talking for a while. Now we’re just chilling in the computer lab for a little bit before going out tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well back home! I miss you all!

No comments: