It is hard to believe it has already been a week since arriving in Dublin! I have been having so much fun and time has flown by so quickly. In one week we will be heading up to Belfast...I am sure it will be great up there too, but I am just getting all adjusted to Dublin. I can easily navigate this town now. I'll soon be an expert on Northern Ireland!
Well I ended up going out last night to Temple Bar with Megan and Lindsay. It was raining...big surprise there. We found a table easily enough at Temple Bar (although you would be surprised how packed it is on a Monday night!) I was really excited when they had the Olympics on! We don't have TV (not that I really want it), so it was neat to get to watch a little. I ordered a Guinness and watched...Megan and I are the new synchronized swimming judges. I don't know if we judge the proper technique, but we were having fun! It was really interesting to watch an international competition with everyone around you cheering for different people. It was a neat feeling!
After an hour and a half we decided to move on to a different place...We went into Fitzsimmons but there wasn't too much going on there yet, so back outside to continue our search. It was again raining outside...These guys from Chicago heard us talking and noticing that we had an American accent, they came up to talk to us and get our recommendations on places to go and to get directions. We talked in the street for a while and only after about 10 minutes did we all realize we were talking in the pouring rain..we decided to head indoors. We went into a pub and everyone (but me) ordered a drink. We just hung around talking. These guys were on a "man-cation" according to them. The guy Dave that I talked to the most was nice and I was kind of jealous that they could just pick up from work whenever to take these trips. I have to say it was hard to hear over the HORRIBLE cover music that was playing. Whoever picked that pub picked very wrongly...A sample of the "wonderful" music: Sweet Home Alabama, Pink Floyd, and Hotel California. Not the songs I wanted to hear in Ireland. I have that stuff enough back home! It was funny, if nothing else, and every song was a surprise...
Around 11:30 or so I got really tired and decided to bounce. Lindsay and Megan stayed behind with the guys and ended up going to Fitzsimmons. I stupidly forgot that Lindsay had given her key to Rose, so I had the only key to our room. I got back to Trinity and went to bed around 12:30 or so. I passed out from being so tired (our weekend in Galway was fun but exhausting!) Apparently Lindsay tried ringing our buzzer 6 times and knocked on my window...but I slept right on through it. They ended up having to go wake up Rose to get the key. Whoops!
So that was the Monday night adventures...there is always more than this, but I don't want to bore you with too many of our inside jokes!
Today was pretty laid back, but really fun. We had class at 10 this morning. We talked about Yeats' poems and read some of them outloud and we also discussed some of Joyce. It was pretty interesting. I am finding the books and reading a lot more interesting because we are immersed in the author's inspiration. It is a really great way to learn! Although there are times where I just want to go have fun and not necessarily hole up in a room reading...
But I was a good student and after class I went to a cafe just outside campus to study. I just sat at a window stool looking out on the streets of Dublin while reading and sipping coffee. It was very nice...oh and cute sweater Trinity tour guide was there too!
I went to the Yeats Exhibit at the National Library in the afternoon with the class. Again, really interesting because we had just read his poems that morning. The exhibit told a lot about the history of WB Yeats. There was some I had heard before or from the professor, but I learned a lot. I never knew that he was very interested in the occult and things like seances and tarot cards. It was neat to learn about what he drew inspiration from throughout his lifetime, especially his relationship with Maude Gonne. I look forward to reading more of his poetry. Although he often portrays an idyllic Ireland when in reality, Ireland at the time of his poems was in a lot of turmoil and poverty. Nonetheless, Yeats is a very talented poet and his work is fun to read.
After the Yeats Exhibit, Lindsay, Megan and I went over to the National Museum to see the bog bodies! They were so cool!!! My grandma had actually mentioned that Ireland had found bodies that were almost perfectly preserved. I got to see them! These bodies were over 1500 years old and they still had hair, fingernails, internal organs, and muscle. It was crazy to see! It was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The bodies are died brown because of the peet bogs coloration, but they are so well preserved- it is incredible to see!
Logically the next thing to do after seeing bog bodies is to eat! So we went to the store (walking in pouring rain) to get dinner. We got soup, bread and cheese and the other girls bought some chocolate. We had quite the time finding the store though because we could not figure out how to get to the basement level. We ended up running back and forth from inside to outside in the rain trying to figure it out. In the store with the grocery store in the basement, we found the creepiest mannequins...had to be the most feminine looking man mannequin I've ever seen!
Hauled it back to Trinity and then dried off and got warm while cooking in Lindsay and my room. We cooked, danced, laughed, and talked for a couple hours. Then we went upstairs to have a little send off for Amy, a girl in the program, who had to go home early due to a family emergency. Those who hadn't eaten had dinner, but we all hung out and told stories from our weekend. The fun really started when "Party Babies" were busted out...lets just say it is gummy candy shaped like babies... and then you eat them...amazing!
It was fun to get to hang out with everyone and just shoot the breeze, especially since the weather was too bad to really go out and do anything. The night ended with a little homework and I talked to some friends (I miss you ladyfriend!) I am staying up to make a phone call, but then it is off to bed, for tomorrow we go on a trip! I am really excited!
Well I ended up going out last night to Temple Bar with Megan and Lindsay. It was raining...big surprise there. We found a table easily enough at Temple Bar (although you would be surprised how packed it is on a Monday night!) I was really excited when they had the Olympics on! We don't have TV (not that I really want it), so it was neat to get to watch a little. I ordered a Guinness and watched...Megan and I are the new synchronized swimming judges. I don't know if we judge the proper technique, but we were having fun! It was really interesting to watch an international competition with everyone around you cheering for different people. It was a neat feeling!
After an hour and a half we decided to move on to a different place...We went into Fitzsimmons but there wasn't too much going on there yet, so back outside to continue our search. It was again raining outside...These guys from Chicago heard us talking and noticing that we had an American accent, they came up to talk to us and get our recommendations on places to go and to get directions. We talked in the street for a while and only after about 10 minutes did we all realize we were talking in the pouring rain..we decided to head indoors. We went into a pub and everyone (but me) ordered a drink. We just hung around talking. These guys were on a "man-cation" according to them. The guy Dave that I talked to the most was nice and I was kind of jealous that they could just pick up from work whenever to take these trips. I have to say it was hard to hear over the HORRIBLE cover music that was playing. Whoever picked that pub picked very wrongly...A sample of the "wonderful" music: Sweet Home Alabama, Pink Floyd, and Hotel California. Not the songs I wanted to hear in Ireland. I have that stuff enough back home! It was funny, if nothing else, and every song was a surprise...
Around 11:30 or so I got really tired and decided to bounce. Lindsay and Megan stayed behind with the guys and ended up going to Fitzsimmons. I stupidly forgot that Lindsay had given her key to Rose, so I had the only key to our room. I got back to Trinity and went to bed around 12:30 or so. I passed out from being so tired (our weekend in Galway was fun but exhausting!) Apparently Lindsay tried ringing our buzzer 6 times and knocked on my window...but I slept right on through it. They ended up having to go wake up Rose to get the key. Whoops!
So that was the Monday night adventures...there is always more than this, but I don't want to bore you with too many of our inside jokes!
Today was pretty laid back, but really fun. We had class at 10 this morning. We talked about Yeats' poems and read some of them outloud and we also discussed some of Joyce. It was pretty interesting. I am finding the books and reading a lot more interesting because we are immersed in the author's inspiration. It is a really great way to learn! Although there are times where I just want to go have fun and not necessarily hole up in a room reading...
But I was a good student and after class I went to a cafe just outside campus to study. I just sat at a window stool looking out on the streets of Dublin while reading and sipping coffee. It was very nice...oh and cute sweater Trinity tour guide was there too!
I went to the Yeats Exhibit at the National Library in the afternoon with the class. Again, really interesting because we had just read his poems that morning. The exhibit told a lot about the history of WB Yeats. There was some I had heard before or from the professor, but I learned a lot. I never knew that he was very interested in the occult and things like seances and tarot cards. It was neat to learn about what he drew inspiration from throughout his lifetime, especially his relationship with Maude Gonne. I look forward to reading more of his poetry. Although he often portrays an idyllic Ireland when in reality, Ireland at the time of his poems was in a lot of turmoil and poverty. Nonetheless, Yeats is a very talented poet and his work is fun to read.
After the Yeats Exhibit, Lindsay, Megan and I went over to the National Museum to see the bog bodies! They were so cool!!! My grandma had actually mentioned that Ireland had found bodies that were almost perfectly preserved. I got to see them! These bodies were over 1500 years old and they still had hair, fingernails, internal organs, and muscle. It was crazy to see! It was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The bodies are died brown because of the peet bogs coloration, but they are so well preserved- it is incredible to see!Logically the next thing to do after seeing bog bodies is to eat! So we went to the store (walking in pouring rain) to get dinner. We got soup, bread and cheese and the other girls bought some chocolate. We had quite the time finding the store though because we could not figure out how to get to the basement level. We ended up running back and forth from inside to outside in the rain trying to figure it out. In the store with the grocery store in the basement, we found the creepiest mannequins...had to be the most feminine looking man mannequin I've ever seen!
Hauled it back to Trinity and then dried off and got warm while cooking in Lindsay and my room. We cooked, danced, laughed, and talked for a couple hours. Then we went upstairs to have a little send off for Amy, a girl in the program, who had to go home early due to a family emergency. Those who hadn't eaten had dinner, but we all hung out and told stories from our weekend. The fun really started when "Party Babies" were busted out...lets just say it is gummy candy shaped like babies... and then you eat them...amazing!

It was fun to get to hang out with everyone and just shoot the breeze, especially since the weather was too bad to really go out and do anything. The night ended with a little homework and I talked to some friends (I miss you ladyfriend!) I am staying up to make a phone call, but then it is off to bed, for tomorrow we go on a trip! I am really excited!

No comments:
Post a Comment