Friday, August 8, 2008

Day Four- Trip to Howth, Ireland



After my late night last night, I got up at about 8:30 or so. I got a solid 4 hours of sleep…haha. I got up, showered, and got breakfast. We didn’t have class today but we met up at 10am to head out on our field trip. We caught the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) to go to Howth, a little fishing village just outside Dublin on the ocean. We did a little bird watching because our professor absolutely loves birds! It was so serene in this town. Very picturesque…definitely more of the Ireland I wanted to see. I love Dublin and it is very exciting, but I love the country. It was nice to get out of the city.

We walked down Howth Head to the pier. The ocean was beautiful and the houses along the shore were very quaint and colorful. Funny story- so as we are walking along the pier, the local dog is following us around and barking at all the bikers and runners. Next thing we know, we look down and the dog has a condom in its mouth. Pretty darn funny…he will forever be known as “Condom dog.”

We saw the lighthouse and then hopped on a ferry out to the Ireland Eye Island. It is an uninhabited island with just an old tower, but there was a nice little hike to the top with great views of the ocean, shore, and the town. This field trip was exactly what I needed. It gave me a chance to just get outdoors and think. I needed some time with my thoughts- to just relax. We stayed in Howth from 11-3 or so and then headed back to Dublin on DART. I passed out on the way back.

I was so tired and I was going to Galway with Lindsay and Megan the next day, so I decided to take the night easy and not go out. I went to the market with the girls to get stuff to make sandwiches and dinner. Got back to Trinity, ate some food, and then read for a little while. I am so excited to go to Galway tomorrow! It is supposedly gorgeous…we are kind of doing the European thing and just backpacking around. We do not have a hotel reservation so we are just going to hope and pray we can find a place to stay once we get there. I have to catch a bus at 7am tomorrow…so I am off to bed!

No comments: