We got to Glendalough and ate lunch (and those who were out late the night before were clutching their cups of coffee). I had a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple that I jacked from breakfast earlier in the morning :)
Glendalough is also known as "Valley of the Two Lakes." It has an upper and lower lake. It was founded by St. Kevin around 570 AD as an early Irish Monastery. He originally just lived in a cave in the mountain in seclusion, but when more and more came to Glendalough for religious reasons, they founded the monastery. There is a beautiful archway into the monastery that once housed giant wooden doors.
The monastery also had a giant round tower. It is built perfectly. It is exactly 2 times as tall as it is wide and the door is 4 meters off the ground to try and keep invaders out. It served as a watchtower for the monks. There was also the ruins of a couple cathedrals and a very impressive cemetery. There was a large cross carved out of a single stone in the cemetery. The celtic crosses marking the graves were some of the most beautiful things.
I then took a nice hike up to the lake with my classmates. We found a couple waterfalls along the way and hiked up the mountain to take pictures and run our hands through the water. I am realizing how much my hiking with my dad paid off.
At 3pm we got back on the bus and headed back to Trinity. We had to do laundry and homework and I went over to my new favorite cafe to work on school and other misc. things. We decided to go out so at 8pm we loaded up and found Stag's Head pub in downtown Dublin. It is a really old pub that still maintains that local vibe pretty well. We went upstairs to the lounge and found a table. It was funk night! There was this awesome local band playing funk music! It was so much fun! We just ordered a pint and listened and danced...the dancing and singing got rowdier and rowdier as the night went on. At about 12 they started flashing the lights for last call- so of course most people go and buy 2 drinks because they have to be able to finish them (and that could last until 2am...haha). We all decided to head to a different place, so we walked around on the hunt for a fun place. We went into a pub with some music going and stayed for just a little bit, but some of the crew wanted to head back to Trinity. We walked back to Trinity and since it was past midnight we had to knock on the door and prove to security we really lived there.
I really wanted a group picture, so I asked this random guy to take one for me. It turned out really well so when I saw him standing outside building 35 I said "Thanks for the picture- it was awesome!" Awesome was all it took...he asked where I was from and once I said California, he said he guessed right! Apparently "awesome" is a California thing. He ended up being an Italian guy named Eric who is studying his English here in Dublin. We might try and meet up with him and some of his friends later this week and go out. It is so much fun getting to meet people from all over the world! I cannot believe how incredible this trip is! It just keeps getting better and better...every day is an adventure here!

No comments:
Post a Comment