I got to spend an amazing weekend with my family and Will in Reno before heading off on my month long overseas adventure. We got back into Auburn around 9pm on Sunday night. I said my goodbyes to my family. It was hard saying bye to Kerri just because I know that by the time I get back, she will already be 18 years old and moved into her dorm room at Chico State. After saying goodbye, Will and I loaded up my car and drove to Davis. I was able to get most of my packing done by about 11:30 and then attempted to sleep. It was very restless sleep. I kept waking up and realizing that soon I would be on a plane to halfway around the world.
I woke up on Monday, August 4th and finished my packing, loaded up the car and had a nice breakfast with Will at Crepeville in Davis. I have to say I was slightly sad to start the drive to the airport because I knew I would soon have to say goodbye to Will. As we took the airport off ramp, my heart started to race. “Oh my goodness- I am really going to Ireland!” I got all my bags and then said goodbye to Will. It was bittersweet walking into the terminal. I was heading toward an exciting adventure, but I hated leaving my loved ones.
I got through check-in, security and boarding quickly and easily. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I loved standing at our gate and hearing all the Irish accents. My excitement grew and grew. I met up with Lindsay, another girl in my program, and we were both obviously excited and nervous about what was in store for us. I boarded the plane and settled in for my 9 hour flight (but with taxiing and boarding it took about 11 hours). I sat next to a lovely Irish woman who had moved to California, but was originally from Ireland. She was a pleasure to talk to. We had movies and music to keep us busy on the flight, which was great because I could not sleep at all. As we approached Dublin, we couldn’t see a thing. We had a natural Irish welcome with clouds and rain. As soon as we got under the clouds, I was amazed at how green and beautiful the land was. I couldn’t believe I was really in Ireland!
We exited the plane “Beatles style” with an outdoor staircase from the plane door to the tarmac. The 5 of us on the same flight all got together to head to Trinity University together. We got our passports stamped and flew through customs with ease. I used my Euros to get on an Aircoach and we were on our way to our program site for the 2 weeks in Dublin. As we pulled up to Trinity, I was amazed at how beautiful it was! The buildings looked like something out of a history book. I felt like I was stepping into history. It was an incredible feeling. I got my room key and assignment. I was really excited when I saw I got to stay with Lindsay West in a suite set up. We each have our own single room, but we have our own separate kitchen and living room. We have sinks in our room and then have showers and bathrooms on the floor upstairs.
Picture of Trinity:
Once settled, the 5 of us met up and went exploring for a little while at Trinity. We went to the Buttery dining area and I had a scone and cup of coffee for a lunchtime snack. (By the way, Grandma, their scones don’t come close to yours!) We ran into another group of students from our program and decided to go explore the city of Dublin a bit. On our way out we saw our professor and got updates about class the next day and got recommendations on pubs and places to eat. Dublin is definitely a big city. It felt slightly reminiscent of San Francisco but with a definite European feel. (The weather made it feel a bit like San Francisco too…it made me think of Will.) The architecture was breathtaking. I couldn’t help but notice the mix of old buildings among modern stores and local pubs. It was an incredible mix of a rich history and a modern present. We were all amazed when a giant tour bus was trying to navigate the narrow streets and in the process, went all up on the curbs almost hitting us several times. I think we all have to get used to the traffic differences.
Picture of Dublin:
We found some great local eateries, cafés, stores, and markets. We explored from about 11-3pm and then sore feet and the lack of sleep set in. Most of us headed back to our rooms to take a nap. I took a lovely 3 hour nap. Although I passed out with my wet jeans on and because I failed to turn the covers down, I woke up with an incredible design of imprinted lines all over my face, neck, and chest. Way to go me…
At 7pm, Lindsay and I met up with another girl from our program and we proceeded on an hour adventure to find a pub that ended up being only several blocks away from Trinity University. I like to look at it as an experience. And hey, I got to see more of Dublin on the first day! We finally found our destination, John Mulligan’s pub! We walk through the doors and who do we find but the other part of our group sitting around having pints of Guinness. There were some very “spirited” locals playing games and having a round with the group. We joined them for a minute, but we were all too hungry and making a wise decision, we decided to get food before continuing to order another round. We walked a couple streets over to Long Stones Pub and all ordered some food and of course, pints. It was great to just sit and have a meal, talk with the other students and enjoy a pint of delicious Carlsberg.
John Mulligan's:
As this day comes to an end, I am still in slight disbelief that I am really in Ireland. I am looking forward to what is in store for me. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity. I will miss talking to and seeing everyone, so please feel free to send me an email (kristen@lohse.net). I hope that all is well back in the States. I love you all and will keep you posted.
10pm on day one…time to pass out. I have a nice 7am run planned…
Love, Kristen

No comments:
Post a Comment